Started in 1965 Modern Tyres has grown to become Ireland’s largest independent tyre retailers with 40 branches Nationwide. We pride ourselves in delivering a top class service offering our customers the largest choice of tyres in stock. You can be assured that we have something to suit your vehicle and your budget.
In 2015 Modern Tyres celebrates 50 years in business, started back in 1965 by Jimmy Byrne the company is still family owned and run today.
Jimmy Byrne started Modern Tyres in 1965 when he opened his first retail / wholesale tyre depot in the Old Railway Yard in Enniskillen. Over the years, as his four son’s & daughter entered the business allowing Jimmy time to identify opportunities within the tyre retail sector, sites where purchased in various prominent towns throughout Northern Ireland and the eldest son’s left home to run these depots
As the company expanded Modern Tyres made its first major acquisition by purchasing Ards Tyre Service in Oct 1995, after the success of this came further acquisitions in Belfast, Holywood, Lisburn, Larne, Ballymena bringing the total number of depots to 16. Around this time Modern Tyres recruited a financial controller James McKee from Local accountancy firm Grant Thornton, who had managed Modern’s accounts for many years, and a general manager Charles Corscadden from Bridgestone who had over 25 years’ experience in the tyre industry.
The time was coming for something big and it came in Aug 2002 when Modern purchased the Northern Ireland arm of U.K. giant Motorway Tyre & Exhaust centres. This was the largest single purchase of tyre depots in Northern Ireland history, making headline new across the province.
Further acquisitions were made in Belfast, L’Derry and Strabane during 2003 to 2005. However in 2012 the opportunity to take over the last three remaining ATS branches in Northern Ireland presented itself giving us a total of thirty branches.
As a company we have always wanted to move into the South of Ireland and in 2013 that opportunity came our way when Hanover Tyres cameo on the Market. With ten locations spread from Dublin to Cork it took our tally of depots to forty.
These acquisitions have made Modern Tyres into a Nationwide network of forty retail fast-fit centres and a Southern Ireland tyre wholesale company, making it the largest independent tyre retail / wholesale company in Ireland. Modern Tyres prides itself on offering an unrivalled level of customer service through the retail, fleet, commercial, agricultural and wholesale markets offering the widest selection of tyres from the leading manufactures as well as batteries, exhausts and Alcoa truck alloy wheels.
Modern Tyres deal direct with all major tyre manufacturers bringing in containers to their warehouses in Enniskillen and Newry on a daily basis. With 30 centres throughout Northern Ireland and 10 in Southern Ireland we stock an extensive range of tyres to service the requirements of today’s motorists. We pride ourselves on the service we give our customers and train all our staff to the highest standards who will give advice on the best tyres to suit your needs.
With a stock holding of upwards of 100,000 car van and 4X4 tyres available at any one time. Tyres are delivered using our own fleet of delivery vans backed up with a next day courier service.
Rainbow Communications is one of the leading independent telecommunications companies in the UK and Ireland, with over 10,000 business customers and over 45% of Northern Ireland’s Top 200 Companies.
Rainbow was established by Eric Carson & Martin Hamill in 1998 and remains a family owned business. Over the years the owners have surrounded themselves with a team of industry experts, enabling Rainbow to offer its customers a range of leading telecommunications, IT and telematics services.
Rainbow places customer service and support at the heart of its business. With over 100 employees, dedicated Account Managers and Customer Support Teams, Rainbow is committed to ensuring our customers receive industry leading telecommunications experience. That is why Rainbow have invested in gaining direct access to its suppliers provisioning systems, including BT Openreach’s WL3 platform and allowing our teams to directly manage our customers’ service request, test lines and make appointments for their 25,000 engineers.
Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland
Ordnance Survey history
In the nineteenth century the Irish Ordnance Survey, led by Lt Col Thomas Colby, completed the world’s first large-scale mapping of an entire country – the island of Ireland. Given the limited technology available, the accuracy of this survey was astonishing .
How it was done
In 1824, Parliament ordered Colby and most of his staff to Ireland, to produce a detailed six inch to the mile valuation survey. Colby and Lt Thomas Drummond, a leading mathematician and inventor, designed specialist measuring equipment, systematically collected place names, and reorganised the map-making process.
The maps were based on a framework of triangulated points. The first leg of the first triangle, known as the baseline, was measured along the flat eastern shore of Lough Foyle. The baseline, at almost eight miles, was the longest of its kind and was measured to the highest standards of accuracy available at the time. In 1960 it was re-measured using modern electronic equipment and the old measurement was only out by one inch.
The tools especially developed for the project, were an iron and brass bimetallic strip compensation bar, a strong limelight and a heliostat reflector for daylight observations.
These first maps provided the basis of an accurate survey of properties originally for taxation purposes.
By 1830 the Survey began to recruit staff to research geographical names and approve the forms of the names which would appear on maps – townlands, districts, hamlets and hill features. These names have been published on successive editions of maps in their original form. All other names on Ordnance maps are updated for each new edition and new, changed and obsolete names are carefully recorded.
When it was decided to put height points on maps, local ‘datums’, where the height is fixed at zero, were chosen at locations around the country. The datum for County Dublin was fixed at the low water mark of the spring tide on 8 April 1837 at Poolbeg lighthouse. This datum was later used across Ireland until new datums were adopted in the mid 20th century: mean sea level at Malin Head, County Donegal in 1958 and mean sea level at Clarendon Dock Belfast between 1951 and 1956.
Metric height information on OSNI maps
All large-scale mapping undertaken by OSNI is published with metric height information referred to mean sea level at Belfast. However, to make sure compatibility throughout the 1:50,000 and 1:250,000 map series which cover both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, the heights on all OSNI small-scale maps refer to mean sea level at Malin. Malin OD is about 0.037m above MSL Belfast.